Parading Police in Bimini


Observing the interactions and perceptions of the local police around the world is always interesting to me. I watched this parade for the Annual Police Church Service in Bimini. Citizens started lining up early and waved and smiled as the officers marched by in their crisp white uniforms.


The band played reverently and the pageantry and excitement that surrounded the whole event was fascinating. I learned that a church service is held annually at a different church each year, to pray for the officers safety.  It was sobering witnessing this proud spectacle and comparing it to the volatile police situation in the U.S. My country carries a complex and violent police history that is being challenged to change and I hope that one day that it can grow where respect is given on both sides, like I  saw in Bimini.


Comments

Catherine said…
What a contrast....can't I agine this happening in many countries! Greetings from Nice soon to be London
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, I think the fact that the Bahamas is a small island nation has something to do with this. Are you going back home? Can't wait to hear about the adventures!
TexWisGirl said…
i hope a balance and mutual respect can be attained here.
Fly Girl said…
Tex, it's a totally different atmosphere than in the U.S.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons