Grilling Sardines On A Spanish Beach


Andalusia is noted for its distinctive culture and aside from the eye-popping beauty, that's my favorite thing about the region. On the sunny Costa Tropical, the cultural delights continue. This beach in Salobrena, about 45 minutes from Granada, enchanted me with mountain views, pristine waves and the smell of sardines grilling.


To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of sardines but I was excited to see this chiringuito or beach bar, with an authentic boat used as a grill because it's a hallmark of Andalusian beach culture. Fresh, just caught fish are a specialty with espetos de sardinas or sardine skewers, the most essential.


My excitement must have been obvious because I was quickly invited to learn how to skewer the sardines for grilling.


The bamboo sticks are pushed through the body of the sardine for even grilling and it's probably easy to do for more spatially refined people but unfortunately, not for me. I mangled a handful of silvery fish before I was able to slide one on the skewer properly. I don't think I'll look into a sideline as a grill cook anytime soon.

Espetos are the perfect beach food and are eaten with your fingers, popping the whole sardine into your mouth. I couldn't quite manage that trick either but the salty, delicate taste of the fish was a lovely accompaniment to the laid back lifestyle of Salobrena.

Comments

Andrew said…
I really like it that they use a boat as a grill. The beach life must be quite something there in Spain.
Fly Girl said…
Andrew, the beach culture is really cool but they are fighting to keep it. There are rules they are trying to enforce about not grilling on the beach.
Well, you said it. Andalusia is about that rich, beautiful culture. I love grilled sardines, so this is a post for me! :-)

I'm also celebrating food and music this week with a World Cup-themed post.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
I would never go near sardines but that's what Andalusia does, draws you out of your little box!
TexWisGirl said…
you look too cute in your pretty blue dress, trying to skewer sardines. :)
Fly Girl said…
Tex, I wish it was as easy for me as it looks!
Fly Girl said…
Trainer,
Thanks so much!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons