Kauai's Feathered Friends


There are a lot of things that you'll find all over Kaua'i. Rust-colored dirt, the  friendly spirit of Aloha and chickens. Chickens prance around the island like they own it and I guess when you consider their numbers and the centuries they have roamed the island, they sort of do. The scientific name is Polynesian waterfowl and they are prettier and more cocky than your average barnyard birds.


It doesn't matter where you go, to the beach, a luau, a parking lot, you will see chickens. Or at least hear the insistent crowing of the roosters. You are advised not to bother them. After  I witnessed a gaggle of chickens crow and peck each other in a furious fight, flying into the air and landing on backs with sharp claws, I understood why.


Sometimes you'll spot birds that aren't chickens. You have to keep your eyes peeled because the chickens are so plentiful that all other birds seem to just blend in with them.


Except for peacocks.


There's no way peacocks can blend in and they don't seem to want to.  I spotted this beauty at the Smith botanical garden  and it's proud loveliness reminded me of Kaua'i itself.

Comments

MinnieRunner said…
Those roosters are used for cockfighting back in my country.

Oh wow! I wish to see a peacock in person too :D
Fly Girl said…
Minnie, It was actually Filipino immigrants that brought many fighting rooster to Kauai over 100 years ago.
Angela said…
It must be super sweet just walking around and meeting chickens everywhere. I'm serious here, I loved India so much because anywhere I went animals were free to wander and not afraid of men, feels like more in contact with nature :)
Fly Girl said…
Angela, you're right. I never thought of it that way but seeing animals freely roaming is how it should be.
Vacation Remix said…
Enjoyed the blog post!
Fly Girl said…
Remix, thanks so much! I appreciate you visiting.
Mad Bull said…
+Nice pics, remind me of here, except for the pea cock! We have wild chickens aplenty though!
Fly Girl said…
Bull, I remember more lizards than chickens on Cayman!
Jean-Luc Picard said…
That peacock looks a real poser!
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, that's a good one. He is a posing peacock!
Fly Girl said…
Rachel. who doesn't love a pretty peacock?
Catherine said…
I know next to nothing about Hawaii so have been following all your posts with great interest - the educational beauty of blogs!! hope you managed to verify Obama´s birth records whilst you were down there!! Greetings from Mexico
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, they finally have and I really hope that's the end of it. So glad that my posts are giving you new perspectives.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons