Twin City Love



When I mention that I love Twin City, I'm not talking about Minneapolis and St.Paul although I'm sure they're lovely in their own way. Twin City is the nickname for the U.S. Virgin Islands' St.Croix and it's one of my favorite Caribbean islands. It's called Twin City because of it's two major towns, Christiansted and Frederiksted. Brimming with quaint, jewel-colored houses and fragrant bougainvillea, ixora and hibiscus everywhere you turn, St. Croix is packed with charm and culture. The capitol of Christiansted sits serenely on a waterfront square surrounded by butter-colored, neo-classic buildings dating from the 1700s. The city also boasts rows of art galleries, which I'll explore in my next post. What I love about St.Croix is that it offers the beauty and lush environment that you'd expect from an island but it also supplies lots of culture and history. Cruzans are a laid-back, brainy bunch and there's nothing better than hanging out in a Christiansted cafe, talking to artists and makeshift politicians. As the largest of the Virgin Islands, St. Croix attracts an urbane mix of people from across the Caribbean region as well as the U.S. In fact, I once considered moving there after I got an offer from the local St.Croix newspaper. The crime rates and faltering medical facilities deterred me but it still remains one of my beloved island destinations.



Comments

Anonymous said…
The Twin Cities look very appealing, particularly this time of year!
Anonymous said…
That's exactly what made me blog about them. Winter in Chicago really makes me consider moving to the Caribbean!
Anonymous said…
nice blog sister chk me out when u can

rawdawgbuffalo
Anonymous said…
Beautiful island.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for dropping by Torrence, I will visit soon.
Ebony, St. Croix is beautiful but most Caribbean islands have a surplus of that quality!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons