A Rosy Outlook


So it's 10 below zero in Chicago. My forehead feels immovable from being exposed to the skin-slapping wind. People always expect Chicagoans to be used to the weather but you never get used to brutal temperatures. You just adjust. Adjustment for me means focusing on my many tropical travels. I've gazed at tons of gorgeous beaches but the most unforgettable was Barbuda's pink sand shoreline.


Stretching for 10-miles non-stop, with nary a beach towel or umbrella stand in sight, Barbuda's beaches resemble true paradise. I keep two bottles of the blush-colored sand on my bookshelf. Today I've been staring at it hoping it will transport me to Barbuda or at least transmit a bit of the tiny island's heat. It hasn't worked. At least I have my memories. The most vivid of which is spending hours in postage-stamp-sized Codrington Airport. The waiting area and outside yard serves as Barbuda's socializing mecca. Women lounge around to discover who's flying in or leaving and kids play cricket with homemade bats. People pass out food and ask about your family. It's like the warmth of Barbuda's people is reflected in the rosy sands of its beaches.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Barbuda sounds great right about now! I'm freezing up here in Stockholm!
Anonymous said…
Ack! A Scandinavian winter sounds like even less fun than Chicago!
Anonymous said…
How lovely! I'm going to link this to the colored-sand beaches post I did.
Anonymous said…
I want to be on a beach RIGHT NOW..

It's artic cold in Toronto. There was also a power outage in one part of Toronto from last night till this morning, i felt real sorry for those people in that area because they had no heat for almost 24 hours.!!
Anonymous said…
Yeah, You forgot about Barbuda after mentioning Hawaii, Bermuda and the Bahamas!
Anonymous said…
Toronto is the only place I've been that's colder than Chicago! It's the one reason why I don't live there now.
Anonymous said…
10 below...Oh, my. I'm getting cold just thinking about it. Yeah, I'd be dreaming of beaches too.

Try to stay warm.
Anonymous said…
yeah, those beaches look impossibly perfect! I know what you mean - people are alwasy saying to me 'you should be used to the cold, being a Norwegian'. But I tell them there is a reason I moved abroad....
Anonymous said…
Can't get used to Chi-town cold. Stay warm...if possible.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for dropping by Yvonne and for the warm wishes.
kristine, Chicago's not quite as bad as Norwegian cold but it's close. I'm glad I'm not the only one people expect to be used to bitter weather!
Anonymous said…
No Stephen, there's no getting used to the hawk!
Anonymous said…
Wow...I've seen some beaches in my travels, but this is impressive.

Responded to the Mangueira question on my blog. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons